View Single Post

Old 2015-05-04, 15:39   #11 (permalink)
SzecH
ArtificialAiming User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox806 View Post
A few thoughts:

Most games (=afaik all games except those that use/will use vulcan, DX12 or mantle) don't do rendering calls in a multi-threaded fashion CPU wise. Thus It would make sense to get a CPU with a good single core performance to make sure that your GPU always has some work to do.

The i7 4790K is the champion in terms of single core performance. It only has half the cores of the CPU you propose though, so if you do multi-threaded CPU intensive stuff (eg: rendering videos with software that doesn't support GPU assisted rendering, compressing a lot of stuff, using gentoo) it might be slower due to it having less cores.
Another downside is it's lack for DDR4 support, although I don't expect the impact here to be too big since what counts for gaming performance is the number of clock cycles wasted on cache miss and there the RAM timings and not whether it's DDR3 or 4 is what matters.

SSD's in raid-0 mode (if that's what you're planning on doing) are not faster when doing random reads. I'd go for cheapest per gigabyte & good random read performance there and maybe only use one SSD since installing windows on raid arrays can be a pain in the arse. Sequential read is already fast enough on SSDs anyways and the limiting factor is usually sata3 only allowing for a 550MB/s throughput. (sata3.2 allows for more)

Other than that: RIP your wallet.
THIS!!! Fox is on it with solid advice that will save your wallet and limit buyers remorse! Nobody cares about numbers on a PC performance test software. What you care about is actual performance with what you are doing (games, boot up, non - CPU intensive multitasking).

The samsung 850 pro or EVO is best bang for buck atm.
(15:23) · @BumbleBee · people say i have hairs like justin bieber
(15:23) · @BumbleBee · i'm mad