View Single Post

Old 2009-01-06, 23:04   #19 (permalink)
Armageddon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK View Post
Not trying to put you down, but this is somthing that people don't realise. When you SLI 2 video cards it does not increase your Graphics Performance, Actually it decreases. It is better to just have one graphics card. And I would also say that if you had 2 4870's, a 4850 would out perform it. Now if you are using multiple monitors or doing something that actually needs two video cards that is a different story, then in that case go ahead and get 2 video cards. But your going to need a huge power supply and the fastest processor out there and then OC it to get 100% capability out of it.
I really hope your not serious.

Two 4870's compared to 1 4870 are either the exact same performance, 1-2 fps lower, or much higher in most benchmarks the performance does not "decrease" like you make it seem. Therefore a 4850 would infact NOT out perform a 4870 crossfire rig, or even a single one.

And as for your theory about SLI, you are TERRIBLY wrong, when you SLI 2 cards, you(ON MOST BENCHMARKS) Almost increase your performance by 1.5 times the original performance if not more.

Oh and by the way SLI is for nVidia cards, and Crossfire is for ATi cards.

Oh and yes, 1 more thing, you do not need a "huge" power supply, all you would need on an SLI rig is about a SOLID REPUTABLE 650 Watt PSU with enough amps on 1 rail to support two cards. If you want to SLI/Crossfire high end cards, I'd recommend a good 800 watt.

Corsair makes great PSU's.

Last edited by Armageddon : 2009-01-06 at 23:15.